[Harp-L] amp or amplified

I have never fully understood why so many players who play electric harmonica think it is preferable to play through an amp rather than just going in to the board (if there is a board). If the player is in quest of the so-called Chicago sound, then an amp is probably better. I personally prefer a somewhat cleaner sound. If the player (or the sound man) understands how to tweak the board and if the player has a good mic, good breath technique and pays attention to the proximity and position of the harp relative to the mic element and how tight or loose the mic is cupped, tone does not suffer because an amp is not used, (unless, of course, the player wants that distinctive distorted overdriven Chicago sound all night long on every tune).
I will use an amp only when i have to. When I do, i generally prefer 10 inch speakers. I suppose if one is using a lot of effects, having one's own amp provides greater control. But it has been my experience many effects work just as well into the board. And it's a whole lot quicker, simpler and less hassle to go in to the board. Most of the time, the tone i wish to achieve does not suffer from lack of an amp and i can get a wider variety of textures playing into the board and better dynamics without needing a volume control on my mic.
I carry my performing set of 13 harps in a Cumberland leather case, 7 or 8 spare harps of the most used keys in a Lee Oskar soft case, an EV re15 and an Audix fireball microphones, an XLR cord with an on/off switch and a separate pigtail transformer (just in case I am required to go into an amp or other hi-Z input) all in a Meinil zippered drum stick case. It's very portable and compact, holds everything i need and is very easy and inconspicuous to carry. I can get my performing harps, mic and cord out of the case, get plugged in, set up and ready to play (or check volume and tone levels) in about 90 seconds (or less) after being called on stage from a standing start holding a closed case.
I'm not knocking amps. I have a couple of my own and i like them. I just don't feel the need to use them very often. Perhaps players that use bullet style mics may have different needs. But I do not use bullet mics myself (I'll use a Shure 545 or Fireball V in situations when i do go into an amp) . I can get an overdriven or dirty sound when I want to by using breath and mic handling techniques without an amp. I'm sure some other players feel differently, but, if an electric player's tone and technique are decent, I'm not convinced that lugging an amp around to sit in provides a significant sonic advantage in most situations.
Of course, in large venues, with a PA snake, sound man, large house PA, etc. the same considerations may not apply. But that is not the typical gig situation for most of us most of the time.
JP