Re: [Harp-L] Advice for a rookie - sort of

A sound came out of the electric Chicago blues era - dirty, distorted,
crunchy. It was mostly due to harmonica players using cheap equipment - not a  lot
of disposable income in those days. It had emotional impact, was recorded  and
has become the benchmark sound for this style.

In a quest for this tone in the 21st Century, amps are designed to recreate
the cheap equipment sound - the way of the world, however, instead of cheap
amps  creating that cheap distorted sound, expensive amps are built to recreate
that  cheap distorted sound. Since music is performed at such a LOUD volume
these  days, a lot of expense is put into designing that cheap amp sound that
can  compete with those lunatic guitar players and their volume.

I think we should all play a lot quieter and use cheap amps - everyone  saves
money (except boutique amp companies) and everyone saves their  hearing.

The Iceman

In a message dated 9/11/2008 10:59:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,