RE: [Harp-L] Kinder AFB vs. AFB+ ? Are there two different models?

My opinion only -

The "+" in AFB+ is the "added" features of the unit. In addition to
eliminating feedback the unit does two things: (1) It calibrates to the
input level of the mic, whereas most devices take the level as-is, for
better or for worse and (2) The output is 5M impedance, so it will make
the most of any amp you plug it in to.

To me, those are the "pluses" the "+" represents. i.e. - anti-feedback
plus mic calibration and impedance matching.

As far as your unit - Rod Piazza and John Kinder have collaborated for
decades on the HarpKing amp and the anti-feedback circuit it employs;
the same AF circuit in the AFB+. Before there was a HarpKing, John would
modify Rod's amps; usually Bassmans, etc. Kinder still does the
"HarpKing Mod" on Bassman-style amps, by the way. Eventually, all the
tinkering and experimenting produced the HarpKing amp - all the do-dads
in one complete package. What you have is probably a prototype of the
AFB+. My guess is that it is identical to the production AFB+, except
that yours has a "history" associated with it. Very cool!

John Balding
Tallhassee, FL