[Harp-L] More 5th Position

This whole 5th position discussion has renewed my interest in playing
outside the Big Three. The new project I'm working in has lots of jazzy
blues and funk materiel and one of the tunes we're covering is Horace
Silver's "Senor Blues". The entire Blue Mitchell / Jr. Cook head as played
on trumpet and sax lays out beautifully in 5th. Here's a link to Silver
playing the tune in 1959. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKtGY3M-OM  It's
played in Eb and so requires a B harp for 5th. The horn line starts on the 3
draw.

I'm finding that it's one thing to learn a "part" in a new position and
quite another to improvise in it. As Mick Zaklan said, you have to live
there for a while.

Thanks for a great thread.

tom albanese
http://www.myspace.com/bigrealdeal