[Harp-L] Re: blue notes and micro-tonality

The blue notes, to me at least, are notes that are only incrementally flat.They are only cents away from the absolute pitch even if the absolute is a quarter step. (or create the illusion of being so,as with fixed pitch instruments such as piano.) You can hear something different about them but you can't quite put your finger on it. That is why they are impossible to express in standard notation form.They set up a certain kind of musical tension that begs for resolution.And, they are not usually static in their rhythmic placement.They are fluid. Ray Charles was a master of the blue note, especially in his vocals.

When I was a kid, I was blown away by a song called "Yes, I'm Ready" by Barbara Mason. Try to hit the exact pitches she hits.Good luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lfuq6vp5tY
Little Eva had this ability as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjFR_mLYToQ
I don't know if those are technically "blue" notes but that type of tension and resolution is inescapable.It seems like a lot of blues vocalists get better and better at this as they age, though I don't think it is a conscious effort on their part.Vibrato on a bent note accomplishes this to an extent.

As always, just my opinion