Re: [Harp-L] Re: Seydel 1847 v MB Deluxe

I just reread the message I wrote, third sentence I said "Seydel rarely mentions it" to clarify, when I said "it" I meant longevity. Nobody, Seydel or me is saying they last forever, just a long time.

David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Steve Baker wrote:
" However, the MBDL is not
being sold on the basis of unsubstantiated claims about the longevity
of the reed material. Nothing lasts forever. Like any other material,
stainless steel will fatigue at some point."

Steve,

I have read everything Seydel has ever put out and I've been listening to everything they've said since before the 1847 came out. I have yet to read or hear any claim from them that the Seydel 1847 will last forever. Seydel rarely mentions it, despite me suggesting they should, they usually talk about how it sounds, etc. and sell it on that point. What claims there have been have been for increased longevity, not that they will last forever. I'm much more vocal about the longevity of these reeds than Seydel is. My claim has been they last longer, a fact that has most definitely has been substantiated.

Seydel doesn't even say a lot about steel reed longevity, I presume because longevity is such a mystery with this. Why? Because they --- I'll say it --- last so long. Not forever, just a heck of a long time. I've been paying very close attention to a lot of things to get an idea how long these will last. After one year, none of my customers, and most are repeats, have ever mentioned blowing one out... the only report I have heard is from a pro player who blew out a 9 blow on a D. I'm sure there's a few more pro guys who have blown out a couple.

After a year, none of my customers reported blowing one out. So, how do I put a time limit on longevity? I can't because we still haven't reached the end. The harps are still out there, functioning. Only when the April 2007 models start failing en masse will I have some idea. No reed on my April 2007 1847 debut harp, which I play all the time, has even dropped a cent in pitch.

I think it is universally understood that while even steel will fatigue, its fatigue point of steel is a heck of a lot greater than brass regardless how of soft the brass is now. It's still brass.

Dave
______________________
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CJlQKMym48

Steve Baker wrote:
Dave wrote:

Dave
_________

Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Ian Farquharson wrote:
Can't make my mind up to which I prefer..... Seydel 1847 or Marine
Band Deluxe. Has anyone blown out the stainless steel reeds on an
1847 yet?
Farky>

Here on Harp-L a few weeks back, former Seydel endorsee Marcos Coll
stated that he had blown out the stainless steel reeds on an 1847.
Despite the experimentally verified longer life of the current Hohner
classic reeds, people have of course also blown out reeds on the MB
Deluxe. I've trashed quite a few myself. However, the MBDL is not
being sold on the basis of unsubstantiated claims about the longevity
of the reed material. Nothing lasts forever. Like any other material,
stainless steel will fatigue at some point. The louder and more often
you play, the sooner this is likely to be.

Steve

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de