[Harp-L] 5th position

Mick,
I agree with you that 5th position is a comfortable major key blues position, The blues scale is essentially a minor pentatonic scale with an extra note (flat 5) that is played over major chords, so 5th position is fine for major key blues, even though you can't get a "blue third" (quarter tone flat).
If the chords are minor, a true minor third (half step flat) is required, which is certainly no problem in 5th position.
While a minor pentatonic scale can be played over major blues chords, playing a major scale over minor chords sounds awful. This is often the problem with using 3d position for minor key material where the IV chord is minor (as it usually is). In 3d position you have to bend the 3 draw a half step to get flat 6 (minor 3d of the IV chord). In the middle register of 3d position the 6 is draw 7 which can't be bent down a half step (at least I can't do it), so that note has to be avoided which isn't always easy to do consistently when improvising at fast tempo. So, I prefer 5th for minors and it is certainly comfortable for major key blues, too.
JP