[Harp-L] Equal Temperament Tuning-- why I don't play chords (?)

Dave,
I happen to think that the most limiting aspect of a Richter tuned diatonic harmonica is NOT the lack of a complete chromatic scale, but rather it is the inability to "build" chords. Sure, a technically proficient player can sometimes flat one of the notes in a chord, but basically we are stuck with the chords the instrument gives us--and these chords don't necessarily work very well with all material. My solution? I don't usually play chords. Instead, i play tongue split intervals or double stops with my tongue blocking the middle holes and playing 2 notes out of the corners of my mouth. This creates a very big or fat sound which actually sounds like a chord because the differential tones produced create a "ghost" note. This phenomenon is most pronounced when playing octave stops, but is present with all split intervals. The chord like sound produced is rich and blends well with a much wider variety of material than the chords available on the instrument, so i am able to handle a wider variety of material. The sound produced is deep and fat, and this sounds good and works in different positions even when the chords on the instrument don't.
I play equal tuned harps because I am more of a single note player and i play in different positions. BUT, when I do split intervals it sounds sweet and very chord like because of the differential tones or ghost notes that are produced and I almost always seem to stay in harmony with the tune. (Octave stops are perhaps not so sweet or harmonic but are very powerful.) Other than deliberately playing octaves sometimes, I'm not really technical about the particular intervals I'm playing. I more or less do it by ear, but it works. In fact, it works better than playing the available chords on the instrument AND it works in different positions AND it works very well on an equal temperament harp. Of course, I still play a chord or chords every now and then, for example, if I'm playing "High Heeled Sneakers." But for the most part i do split intervals instead. I think not playing chords regularly and instead playing split intervals has significantly improved my playing and broadened the range of material I can handle.
Btw, although I am able to tongue block and occasionally do, I am not primarily a tongue blocker. But i frequently shift to tongue blocking to play split intervals instead of chords. I suppose this makes me a mixed embouchure player.
Anyway, I'm not really sure why playing split intervals instead of chords works so well, but in my experience, it does. Perhaps some of you with more technical knowledge can tell me why this is so.

JP