Re: [Harp-L] Question: Equal Temperament Tuning on Golden MElody

Somebody is going to bust me for saying this, I'm sure, and throw some fancy data, science, math and whatnot at me, but my ear tells that it is different somehow from a harmonica. I hear a EQ piano chord and say "oh, I guess that's a piano chord." I hear a EQ harmonica chord and say "this blows."

  I suspect with the harmonica, the difference is that the harp sustains  notes. Guitar, piano, whatever, you hit the chord, it rings, then dies. A harmonica chord hangs there and says "evaluate me."
  I hold a good JI chord on a harp, it sometimes gives me chills.BUT, you chop chord a JI and an EQ, you hear virtually no difference over the very short duration of a beat.
   That is the difference I see.

  Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
  Elk River Harmonicas
  www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Arnold Wiliem <arnoldw.id@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Haha yea, everything is subjective. It depends on the context also.

By the way, I just don't understand why in Piano or Keyboard, they can play both melody and chords without changing the tuning?

Arnold