[Harp-L] Going to Italy ( mostly non harp related)

I traveled around the world for a year with my new wife in 1991 without getting ripped off once except for a smelly pair of my wife's sneakers at a poolside in Queensland Australia. I've been to Europe a half dozen times since too and no rip offs. That isn't to say there aren't pickpockets! One tested me on a train in Barcelona and a group of kids tested me in Milan or Rome. And I'm not advocating naivete. I grew up in the Bronx and know Martial Arts. I'm just empathic to those that are offended by the exploitation of the negative. The world I traveled in (From Raratonga to Kathmandu) left me incredulous at times with it's generosity. And each time i've gone overseas since I've had an imbalanced experience in the favor generosity. I also (as a result of such generosity) always stop to give directions to visitors negotiating Manhattan. I usually make it concise and affable in deference to their suspicions....... My only intention in this post is balance: All the good earthy tourist guides, e.g., Time-Out, Rough- Guide, etc, have a few paragraphs on indigenous crime but the rest of the guide exploits the joy of the destination. p.s. (And this is harp content) One of my favorite harp players is the guy from the Headhunters out of Italy. Damn he does a good job building up his version of Christo Redemptor. My best. d
http://www.myspace.com/blowintheblues