Re: [Harp-L] effects on tremolo harmonica

Without more specifics it's hard to comment on your query. However . . .

Once you isolate the top or bottom row of reeds on a tremolo, you have several bending options, including:

1. Isolate a single draw reed and bend it down - the pitch range may be several semitones.

2. Isolate a single draw reed and overblow to sound a higher pitch.

3. Isolate a single blow reed and bend it down  - the pitch range may be several semitones.

4. Isolate a single blow reed and overdraw to sound a higher pitch.

5. Isolate a blow-draw pair of reeds so that the draw reed is higher pitched and bend the draw note down to within a semitone of the blow reed pitch

6. Isolate a blow-draw pair of reeds so that the blow reed is higher pitched and bend the blow note down to within a semitone of the blow reed pitch.

With all options, it's up to you to control the pitch of the bend.

Dual reed bends will be out of tune (slightly flat) if you bend them all the way down; you have to bend them a little less than all the way and listen to be sure that they are in tune.

Overbends tend to come in slightly less than a semitone above the pitch of the source reed, so you have to push them up a little in pitch to be in tune.

Isolated reeds when you bend them down have a fairly wide pitch range. Again, listen and adjust.

I don't think that the reeds in tremolo harmonicas are any more sensitive than those in other harmonicas. However, they are configured in such a way that many different reed behaviors are possible. This places more demands on your technique when you go to access these behaviors. And the reeds may be adjusted differently that on other harmonicas, which may also require a slight modification in your approach.

Bottom line - work on your bending technique first, with plenty of listening and adjustment.

Work on adjusting the action of reeds on the tremolo harmonica only after you've solidified your bending techniques for the reed behaviors you want to employ.

You may find that once you've given careful attention to your tremolo bending technique, you will also have better bending control on other types of harmonica.

Hope this helps.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa