From: Vern Smith <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:25:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] I could use some advice this time

Dave, if you want to sound as you do sound, then you are playing it
perfectly!  However, if you want to sound different, I have some
suggestions. This is my personal opinion only and may or may not be helpful.
I don't claim to be an authority. There is no accounting for taste.

You seem to be able to cleanly hit the notes that you want so chromatic note
selection is good!

- You are playing it as you would a diatonic. You are overpowering the harp
and losing the characteristic "silvery" chromatic sound. It sounds to me as
though the harp is screaming in pain. Back off some and let it speak in its
natural voice.  Fast doesn't have to blast.

- Remember that you only have a blow tonic (D) chord like the diatonic. The
draw chord is not the dominant (A) that you have on the diatonic which
occurs often in the music.  The draw chord on the chromatic is the ii (Em)
and occurs infrequently. It seems to me that you are using chords because
they are there on the harp and not because they fit the music.

I think that there is a matter of diatonic/chromatic philosophy here.
Diatonic harps, because of their limitations, are allowed to define the
music.  The listener expects to hear bends, note substitutions, awkward
chords, etc.  With the chromatic, because you can play it as the composer
wrote it, the listener expects to hear it a little cleaner and straighter.

Others will disagree, but I don't regard the chromatic as a polyphonic
instrument.  Too often the chord or double-stop that you want requires
simultaneous blow-&-draw or button in-&-out.  Sometimes you can go for a few
notes but then you hit an impossibility and have to revert to single notes
again.  The harmonica needs chordal accompaniment but, sadly,  it must come
from other instruments.

When you play, you seem to be thinking "diatonic harmonica".    Instead, try
thinking "voice" or "fiddle."

I probably should have kept quiet....but you asked!!

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com