Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Trill Truth Revealed

Hi Harvey:

It sounds eminently logical for someone who's already had  that kind of
surgery...but I wonder if your doctor was specifically referring to  your case (and
other people who'd gone through something similar)...rather than  people who
haven't yet surgically compromised the fragility of their  retinas?

I'd definitely be interested in further information about this,
though..since I've found myself doing a bit of a modified head shake as I'm  learning more
harmonica techniques and I do have other eye 'issues' I'd rather  not go into.

Elizabeth

"I had cataract surgery a few years ago, and the doctor who performed the
operation became a friend of mine.  A few months later, he happened to be  in a
club where my band was playing.  He watched me, and after the gig he  stated
that shaking my head (trill) could cause detached retinas, and other eye  and
health problems.  This was a very knowledgeable doctor who was a leader  in his
field.  Since that day, I no longer shake my head to perform a  trill.  I
shake the harp.  I always think of this when I  see  other harp players do the
head shake.

Has anyone had problems  related to trills?

Harvey Berman"

no registration required and great graphics â check it out!