[Harp-L] Tony Dannecker's harps

I read the request for information about Mr Danneker's instruments and the comments from purchasers. I'd like to add my own observations:

Tony Dannecker is the son of the wonderful Willy Dannecker, a lovely man who was responsible for Hohner service in the UK for decades and was an old school Trossingen harmonica technician. What Tony does basically consists of setting up Hohner stock instruments to the requirements of his customers, i.e. mostly tuning and gapping. He also offers his own design of metal comb based on the Hohner MS Meisterklasse with rounded ends to the "teeth" in order to increase playing comfort.

What he does not do is make custom harmonicas and quite a number of serious customizers are unhappy about his claim to produce "The finest custom harmonicas in the world". As many members will be aware, customizing entails extremely exacting work on the reed plates and reeds, which requires a great deal of time and can only be done by a highly skilled player. This is the reason why real custom harmonicas are only produced in tiny amounts and are rightly very expensive. Mr Dannecker does not perform this work on his harmonicas and it's misleading to describe them as "custom instruments". There is absolutely nothing wrong with them, but potential purchasers should be clear that what they're buying is a stock harp which has been set up and tuned more accurately. A number of "real" customizers also offer this service, but at a considerably lower price than their actual custom instruments,

Steve

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de