Re: [Harp-L] personal epiphany - was re: Sounds like Harmonica

The path of this discussion I am finding very interesting. It sounds like what people are saying is not necessarily a harp-only thing, but a musicianship in general thing. I play in a 7-piece band. That's a lot of people to squeeze onto a stage (at least in the dives we play in). It also means a lot of sound if everybody isn't listening carefully and adjusting as they go. If somebody is playing a solo, the rest of us know it's time to back off and give them space (even, ahem, the harp player). If I'm not singing, I'm playing sax riffs, and know when to shut the heck up.

I think it has more to do with being aware of what's going on around you than what instrument you're playing. I know I'm new to this, but maybe harp players just have bigger egos than other musicians so it bears extra discussion. I highly doubt this, personally. :)

I'll listen to anybody good, no matter what they play. (Krummhorn ensemble may be an exception to that rule.) And any good player should know when to step away from the mic.

Seth

Bradford Trainham wrote:
The parallel between conversation style and treatment of one's instrument is
intriguing to me. I find long-winded conversationalists seem to fall into
two types.
One has a difficult time getting to the proper word or phrase that best
expresses what he/she wants to say.
The other has a hard time honoring the personal aural space of the other
hapless participant in the conversation. To try to draw the parallel, for the first type, imagine me in a lesson with
Michael Rubin wherein he has me attempting to improvise a solo in say fifth
position Dorian on a C harp on top of a Band-In-A-Box progression.
I'm on a safe note... The proverbial clock is ticking.. But there's a
lag/disconnect between my musical intuition's sending the right signal to
the part of the brain capable of propelling me to the next note and the part
of the brain that attempts to police my conduct from within the particular
constraints of the scale. For the second type of conversationalist's parallel in the harp world,
consider any "Gus"... Or any harp player at a jam who can't stop to
accommodate a singer or other instrumentalist.
I guess what we might get from this artificial comparison is that while we
tend to think of solos as our moments to shine as individuals, we're still,
in the best cases parts of musical conversations and we'd do well to
properly consider the musicians we're temporarily asking to assume a
background role while we "make our point"...
Brad (What did you say? I wasn't listening!!) Trainham