[Harp-L] Re: Trill Truth Revealed

Wolf
I think some of the confusion about this comes from inconsistency in terminology. What is being demonstrated in the video is what I call tongue slap and flutter.This is a tongue block technique. You didn't mention what blocking method you use. If you are a lip purser or U-blocker, you must switch to tongue block (at least for the flutter itself). You can still do a pseudo slap with U-block. It doesn't sound as full but if you do it quickly enough the dissonant notes won't be as noticeable.This is what I have always called compression.

Here's the difference between flutter and trill. With a flutter, you are alternately including and excluding notes from a chord. They fit together musically. With a trill, you are alternating between two adjacent notes.They don't fit together musically and that is what gives them that cool tense sound.It's kind of a rapid modulation.If you can keep the bottom note active throughout the trill and only modulate the higher one, it will sound really full.

The only three methods I know of to produce a trill are:
1. Side to side head shake.
(LW did not seem too keen on this one.)
2. Shake the harp itself from side to side.
(This is seen in the aforementioned video at about the 6:50 mark or so.)
3. Move the tongue sideways, back and forth, between alternating holes.
(Always start with the lower of the two.)
They all have merit. Go with the one that works best for you and make it part of your own "voice".

Hope that helps.