From: mfugazzi67 <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:44:43 AM
Subject: Fwd:  Re: [Harp-L] 'Summertime' - playing with 'feel' rather

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, IcemanLE@... wrote:

nope - I said that "Personally, I believe that Howard plays to  keep
himself
interested and has evolved so dramatically that he is almost  no
longer of
this earth. "

It is not a deadly serious criticism, but a lighthearted way to mention
Howard's evolvement. I try not to put smiley faces at the end of
sentences to
hammer that point home.

Curiously, when Howard played w/trio globo or a scaled down group that
was
more relaxed, he sounded great to my ears. When he gets stratospheric
with some
of his own creations, they overwhelm me. Believe me, I understand
what he is
playing. I get it. I've seen him numerous times. He does lose a lot
of the
audience at times, from my experience, when he goes over the top. Not
EVERYONE,  mind you.

Similar to Richard's Opera comparison. I get Opera, but fall asleep
during
the performances. A lot of others in the audience nod off, too. I've
seen  it.

I don't fall asleep during a high energy Howard show, just get a bit
overwhelmed and my ears shut down from the sheer barrage and techno
firework
displays after about 20 minutes. Same happens to me during a Jason Ricci
performance. Testosterone driven as they may be, when I was a young
dude full of  that
stuff, I liked it. Older mature Iceman has evolved past testosterone
driven  and
into what I feel to be more depth - less notes with more spaces
telling a
deeper story for me. Love Miles' solos, take Coltrane solos with a
grain of
salt. I wanna play like Miles. Not interested in going the Coltrane route.

In a message dated 10/21/2008 1:16:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,