[Harp-L] Re: Pat Ramsey

At 03:23 PM 10/21/2008, Warren Bee wrote:

I just heard that our friend Pat is not doing well health wise. I have no
details. What's up? He is surely in my prayers.

Warren Bee

Hi Warren. It's true, Pat's been seriously ill off and on since early or mid July when he entered the hospital for a time. The rumor mill is not very helpful for garnering info, however. Depending on who you speak to or hear, read online, etc., reports range from improving to hangin' in there to extremely dire. On one same day in September, one report was that he had been placed in hospice care and gone into coma, and another said he was feeling better, looking better and looking forward to an upcoming benefit being held for him. I'll spare everyone any more and quite possibly very inaccurate statements beyond that, but a lot of us are indeed very worried about his fragile condition.

So, we're having an 8-band benefit for him and his family down here in Tallahassee this Friday, and Pat expects to attend and even hopes to perform a bit, if only one song. An unofficial add-on tribute show by another band and others will follow the next night. Bands which have been playing locally, especially at one of Pat's familiar venues, the Bradfordville Blues Club, have been and are covering a number of his tunes, collecting donations and encouraging support, prayers and well-wishing on his behalf. I didn't ask him, but Dennis Gruenling was playing there last weekend, along with Steve Guyger and Doug Deming, and they performed what may have been a couple tribute songs as well. Jason Ricci and New Blood will be here also, a few days after the benefit, for Halloween night at the BBC, and I know he and his crew have already donated all proceeds from a recent gig to Pat and his family and will probably extend their tribute to Ramsey while here in Pat's old stomping ground. It's a funny, small link Jason and I have, with his close personal and musical ties to Pat, and the fact that I began nurturing my interest in harmonica years back (mid-70s) from listening to him practice locally with his old band Crosscut Saw in my sister's home. Pat's history in the Tallahassee area runs deep and long.

Anyway, for those not able to attend any of these tribute shows or the benefit, as many Harp-Lers are, of course, but wishing to send supportive messages or donations to Pat, here's the address info posted by a friend 'in the know'...

Donations can be sent to:
J.P. Ramsey
P.O. Box 21147
Tallahassee, FL 32316-1147

That's from Walter Potter, <cybergaloot@xxxxxxxxxxx>, my best choice for learning more details than I can offer; who I'm sure will also forgive me for broadcasting his email for those concerned about Pat. Sorry, Walt!! ;-) If he can't inform well enough, I'm sure he can point anyone toward someone else who can.

Sorry not to post earlier on this, but I haven't always been real confident about the conflicting info I've been receiving or reading. I just do hope everyone will keep Pat in their hearts and minds while he faces such a challenging future. He's been an inspiring harp player to many, including our own listowner. Please send up your best for him.

Later, Friends...
Bobbie G