Re: [Harp-L] 'Summertime' - playing with 'feel' rather than marvelling at 'sp...

Perhaps folks don't THINK "speedy and flashy" means w/out feeling.  They
listen to someone playing "speedy and flashy" and come away with  the EMOTIONAL
impression that what they heard had little or no  feel and more speed and flash.
There's a difference between  "think" and "feel".

A lot of what resonates emotionally with the listener is the ability to  walk
away from a performance and have some of it replaying itself in their  minds,
like a hook to a popular song. Speed and flash doesn't imprint itself
emotionally on the memory. After speed and flash, people walk away saying "Wow,  he
certainly played with a lot of speed and flash." After emotional connection,
people often walk away humming the tune or part of a solo that really
resonated.

Hard to argue with someone else's emotional impression. It is their's and
you can't intellectually attack it to try to change the outcome.

For instance, Howard Levy's playing is impressive for what it is, but I  find
it hard to digest after a few minutes. A lot of other listeners come to the
same conclusion, according to my conversations with them. That's not to say
that  Howard isn't an amazing musician. However, his playing does leave a lot of
 people behind in the dust. Personally, I believe that Howard plays to keep
himself interested and has evolved so dramatically that he is almost no longer
 of this earth. If his playing leaves some cold, it is odd that one should
have  get to know him personally in order to change their impressions.

The fact that a comment like "so many instantly quip" precedes a retelling
of someone who wasn't emotionally engaged with the music (plays sans feeling)
feels like a slant geared towards discrediting these people's reactions  and
tells more about the poster than accepting the fact that these people  just
didn't connect w/Howard's music.

In attending a Toots concert, many leave with a real emotional attachment  to
what they heard. Toots plays fast at times (not flashy, though, in my
opinion) and really resonates with the audience emotionally. Check the vibe in  the
air and compare it to the vibe of a Howard Levy concert. They are palpably
different, (once again, in my experience).

Is one vibe BETTER than the other? I don't thing BETTER should even be a
consideration. They are DIFFERENT. Some like one, some like the other.

The Iceman

In a message dated 10/20/2008 11:54:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,