[Harp-L] Fourkey (and other altered tunings)

(1) If you want to try an altered tuning - ANY altered tuning including the "Magic" tunings,  the easiest and probably most inexpensive option is to just go on the seydelusa.com website and use their "harp configurator" to order whatever layout you want.

(2) A lot of people ask "Why not just use a chromatic?"  I know I've had long debates with Randy Singer over this one!  (And he's an accomplished overblower and chromatic player.)  But I find the short harp to be more satisfying.  I like the way it feels in my mouth.  I like the way it feels in my hand.   I like the way it fits in my pocket.  And most of all I like the intimate direct connection I feel with each note.   I just don't get that same feeling from any chromatic.

(3) A question:  What is a "Diatonic" harp?  Is the Fourkey a diatonic harp?  I think that term doesn't do justice to the Fourkey.  Sure it can play diatonic scales.  But it can also play a complete chromatic scale without resort to overdraws or overblows and just two ordinary draw bends in a 12 note chromatic scale.   I'm searching for the appropriate term to include all "short harps" including Richter and all other alternate tunings.   I'm thinking "10/20 harp" is a better descriptor.  10 holes/20 reeds.  Any other ideas?

(4) What does it take to convince some of you harp-l people to give the Fourkey a try?   I've already posted a Youtube video of me playing Charlie Parker note-for-note right out of the Omnibook on the Fourkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Thib725Ig

Playing Bird on a "Short Harp" is like a dream come true for me. I thought that would have you all running to order your own Fourkeys.

But maybe Bird's not your cup of tea.  So if that doesn't convince you then what does it take?   I'm open to suggestions.   I've been playing alternate tunings for many years and I've tried dozens of them.   I'm trying to tell everyone the Fourkey is the most revolutionary alternate tuning I've ever played.   But nobody seems too excited.  So what does it take to get your attention?   I'll take requests for my next YouTube.

(5) Regarding patented tunings, the harmonica community should acknowledge and thank Andy Newton, undisputed inventor of the "Fourkey" (as confirmed by Pat Missin, who ought to know) for immediately releasing his remarkable discovery into the Public Domain.   Thanks Andy!