Subject: Re: [Harp-L] My version of Summertime played on Beta harp

Excellent point, Barts....as a matter of fact...doing some research into  the
song (also one of my all-time favourites)(gee, my list is growing  <G>)....I
learned (knew it peripherally but hadn't really focused on it  before)....that
it was written by Gershwin to be sung operatically in Porgy  & Bess.

....so I watched a performance of it sung that way on YouTube - and perhaps
it was merely the particular singer's presentation, but I  did not enjoy it.
Probably the first time I  haven't liked hearing the song.

One of the most moving versions I've ever heard was that of Ella Fitzgerald
in Germany on tour in the late 1960's...

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOuLZ2zcY0_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOuLZ2zcY0)

and with Louis Armstrong

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yKgAEkCKxY_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yKgAEkCKxY)

My observation (and purely subjective opinion) is: that it's easier to
'sing' it slower - but much more comfortable for an instrumentalist to play  faster
or 'jazzed up' ...even just a little. It's a difficult tune to play  really
slow on any** instrument  without some 'fills' (or frills).

**unless you're Louis Armstrong on trumpet, of course  ;)

Elizabeth

P.S.  Jason Ricci also plays (or used to play)  a gorgeous  diatonic version
of this song which I thoroughly enjoyed, but decided to table  it after
hearing SmoJoe's chromatic version, and felt perfectly  comfortable heaping praise
on SmoJoe's YouTube of the song. Our Jason  is a class act who willingly gives
kudos and credit to other players, and is  almost never negative.

SmoJoe - 'Summertime'

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu8Jt7DKMOk_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu8Jt7DKMOk)

"Message: 9