[Harp-L] Subject: RE:J Geils Band w/harmonica interest/Lead Instrument/Jason & Christelle

You made perfect sense Brad, lol...fever or not.  Sure hope  you're taking
good care of yourself...lousy time to get the flu just as the  weather is about
to drop - here in the Northeast anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, the harmonica is 'always' the lead instrument -
given that I play chromatics at this point - and consider it in lieu of the lead
singer's 'voice' on any song.

I do occasionally play behind the music - and thoroughly  enjoy harmonizing
if anyone gives me the opportunity (at a convention, say)  - but for the most
part I'm playing lead over instrumentals on a CD  -  mostly piano, guitar,
saxophones etc.  It's a completely different approach  and mind-set from playing
blues on a diatonic.  Some day I'll be able to do  that too, but in the
meantime ...'lead' instrument/voice it is :)

The 'future' diatonic Bar keeps getting raised for me, though - since  my
diatonic heroes are Jason Ricci and now Christelle Berton. I probably won't  be
satisfied until/unless I can play even a fraction as well as either of them.
It doesn't help that both have brilliantly inventive minds, aren't bound by
someone else's ideas of how they 'should' play - and both can take their musical
 ideas to wonderful improvisational heights.

Seeing and hearing Jason play Live for the first time is  truly life-altering
for just about everyone who's been there, and each  subsequent experience
just gets better and better as one becomes more  aware of the nuances, subtleties
and phrasing he inserts into his music. (At  this last SPAH when he played
even the tiniest bit - people who hadn't heard him  before would stop in their
tracks, mouth agape - and then feel the need to come  over to talk to anyone
who knew him about what they'd just heard).  The  huge difference between
Jason's 'playing fast' and those who do only play 'fast  with no real direction' is
marked enough that even older strictly chromatic  people would comment on just
how brilliant his musical ideas were.  I was  impressed by how attuned a lot
of these folks' ears were to what they were  hearing...particularly the
classical phrases he'd slip in.

When he demonstrated Brad Harrison's new prototype harp in one room - you
could scarcely get in or out of the door. The second he put the harp to his lips
 - people flocked into the room, drawn by his sound.  It's a phenomenon I
haven't witnessed with any other player.

I only hope I have the chance to see Christelle play in person too before
long, since I'm quite sure she'll have a reasonably similar effect on her
audience....I've played her Youtube videos for people who know nothing  about
and/or don't particularly care for harmonica music and they're always awed  and
transfixed by the beauty of her sound as well. She's giving me more  confidence
as a woman playing harmonica.

Elizabeth

********
"Message: 4