[Harp-L] Magic Harps

As mentioned in other postings, Magic Dick and Pierre Beauregard patented a range of alternate tunings for the 10-hole. These are aimed at rendering the instrument more suitable for melody and related chord playing in various different styles without the necessity of overblowing. Hohner made them a bunch of prototypes based on the Classic Marine Band in the late 90s and I possess three of these samples. Jerry Portnoy was testing them for Dick & Pierre and used them during his time with Eric Clapton to play numbers such as Layla.

The ideas are great and without question allow you to play things which would be impossible on standard tuning. Unfortunately they possess the same potential advantages and disadvantages that characterize all alternate tunings (also for guitar). You need to learn your way around each one and draw a mental map to be able to use it in a musically meaningful fashion. How many guitarists can really cope with alternate tunings? My experience suggests maximum 10 - 20%. I once asked Lee Oskar what proportion of his production was alternate tunings (natural minor, melody maker, harmonic minor). He told me all together 2%. Most harp players I know can't deal with country (major 7th) tuning, even though it offers enormous advantages and only one note is different from standard tuning.

Hohner need to make fairly large production runs to reduce the costs of retooling for each tuning and key. Dick and Pierre need to be able to offer the instruments at a competitive price. As there are a significant number of different tunings, all in different keys, you need to multiply each run by both those numbers to get the total number of instruments produced. The sums involved are considerable, so the whole thing has as yet not happened. These tunings are all patented and Dick and Pierre understandably want to market them exclusively, so it seems to be questionable whether both the economics and the protection of intellectual property can be reconciled,

Steve

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de