Re: [Harp-L] Louisiana

Andy J. Forest is one of my early mentors.  I moved to New Orleans for
1 year when I was 21.  He was playing regularly and letting me sit in
and teaching me heads on the fly.

Andy writes many original tunes, often with humor.  He sings and plays
guitar and percussion made from found items.  He used effects on his
harps sometimes.  He was a great showman.  Without spelling it out for
me, he taught me that variety is necessary to keeping the audience
interested.

His harp playing is bluesy, but not especially traditional.  He would
not win the Little Walter sweepstakes.  He was very good at the high
notes in the first 3 positions.

He also is a movie star in Italy.  He has written novels, including
one that I need to find about a harp player who winds up in hell.  If
I remember correctly, he also was a painter.

For his kindness, I am in his debt.  The same to Johnny Sansone and
Smoky Greenwell.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com