[Harp-L] Louisiana

Mick, I live in New Orleans, and they way you described this city hits it pretty close, and you said it very well.  I am glad you enjoyed yourself.

I know Smokey Greenwell, and I play music with his frequent guitar player, Mark Penton.  He is a great original New Orleans Musicians.  I try to go play a gig with him, once a week.  We do a Duo.  I know betther than this, but here is a Video of Mark and Myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HeFn3TK818

Be Nice.

I also play with Waylon Thibodeaux when I am in the French Quarter, and he is a well know cajun/Zydeco artist.  He plays fiddle, and his parnter plays Accordian.  The Harmonica fits in well, and you are right it is sort of like blues, but most of it is 1,5,5,11, etc rather than 145. Its hard not to like Zydeco.

 Next time anyone comes to town, let me know and I can make some introductions.

Harvey Berman

  Mick Zaklan wrote:

 Just got back from a road trip to Louisiana.  It's been a good 14 or 15
years since I've been down to New Orleans.  Was very pleased to see that
harpist Smoky Greenwell is still selling harmonicas, cds, and other stuff at
his stand in the French Market.  Seems like he's been doing this for 20
years down there.  And playing around town with his own band.  Any harp
player visiting New Orleans and staying in or around the French Quarter
ought to consider stopping by Smoky's little stand and purchasing a harp or
a trinket or two from the former War harpist.  And also check out Jumpin'
Johnny Sansone, another fine player.  Seemed like every joint I stopped by
for a drink or meal, Johnny Sansone had been gigging there.
   It was good to see the city on the mend.  Hospitality was always one of
the Crescent City's strong suits; it's even more pronounced now.  In
general, I found people to be very happy, even grateful, to see tourists.
Can't tell you how many times locals started up conversations with my wife
and I; always earnestly thanking us for visiting their city at the end.
   Out of New Orleans, we drove to Lafayette for the annual Cajun and Creole
music, food, and craft festival.  A huge, free, well-run affair that
attracted people from all over the world, including quite a few
French-speakers.  Wish I could report that I heard some harp being played,
but it was all accordion and fiddle.  There were times, however, when the
accordions sounded uncannily like harmonicas.  Made me wonder what a player
like James Conway would've sounded like tackling this music.  I love the
traditional Cajun stuff, but I dig Zydeco even more.  The Zydeco bands sound
like blues bands to me, only fronted by accordions and washboards instead of
guitars and harps.
   For those who like antiques, seemed like there was a slew of antique
stores down there.  I stopped in one and asked the guy if he had any old
harmonicas.  He pulled out a couple that were on lay-away and tried to pry
my phone number out of me in case the prospective purchaser defaulted.
Apparently, the customer had put a hundred bucks down on these.  Which to
me, should have been enough to buy them outright.  One harp had bells on it,
another looked like a new Super Chromonica except that it was in a heavily
decorated cardboard box.  I'm not a collector, though.
   Anyway, can't tell you how much I enjoy this area.  As someone once
pointed out, it's as close as you can get to visiting a foreign
country without actually leaving the USA.  The food, speech, architecture,
and music are completely different from anywhere else within our
boundaries.  I'd recommend Louisiana to anybody looking for a potential
vacation spot with plenty of good food, drink, and music.

Mick Zaklan