Re: [Harp-L] coltrane

I heard Jimmy Reed  "Mathis James Reed" playing high notes on the  diatonic
some 40 years ago, and that inspired me.
I also  heard Larrry Adler on the chromatic Harmonica, playing in the  high
register. That inspired me too. Mustn't forget the great Max Goldray, one  of
the greatest jazz harmonicists of all time. He LOVED the high notes as  well!
I also listened to Coltrane, but preferred Lucky Thompson!

I guess we all have MANY influences.

John Walden
London
England

<<michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Winslow says  that just because Magic Dick claims to have heard
Coltrane play high and  powerful on the high notes and Dick correlates
this to his high note  playing that this does
not constitute a significant influence from Coltrane  on Dick.  Winslow
says there were many sax players that do this as  well as many harp
players.

It may be that Coltrane learned this idea  by imitating others or that
DIck would have eventually come across this  idea elsewhere.  But that
is conjecture.  All we can go by is  Dick's claim that he thought of it
after hearing Coltrane.  To me,  that is a significant influence, even
if Dick did not transcribe and repeat  Coltrane's lines note for note.
Anything that turns on the lightbulb is  significant to me and
although the influencer might have been influenced by  other people,
that does not change the importance of the  messenger.

Michael Rubin  >>