[Harp-L] coltrane

Winslow says that just because Magic Dick claims to have heard
Coltrane play high and powerful on the high notes and Dick correlates
this to his high note playing that this does
not constitute a significant influence from Coltrane on Dick.  Winslow
says there were many sax players that do this as well as many harp
players.

It may be that Coltrane learned this idea by imitating others or that
DIck would have eventually come across this idea elsewhere.  But that
is conjecture.  All we can go by is Dick's claim that he thought of it
after hearing Coltrane.  To me, that is a significant influence, even
if Dick did not transcribe and repeat Coltrane's lines note for note.
Anything that turns on the lightbulb is significant to me and
although the influencer might have been influenced by other people,
that does not change the importance of the messenger.

Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com