Re: [Harp-L] Over Blow Survey

I don't approach the harmonica at all from this direction. The harmonica is
always angled up approximately 45 degrees at all times. When you keep the
harmonica straight on, it causes one to purse the lips forward.

I use the "Take a drink of water" example as illustration. When you  take a
drink of water out of a glass, it is a natural and efficient  movement, because
you don't think about it. It is "organic". You don't watch the  glass come
towards your lips, you don't stop the glass an inch in front of you  and reach
forward with your lips to grasp the glass. You tip the glass up about  45
degrees and allow the water to pass into your mouth. You don't "suck" the  water
down. You don't tighten your lips, as then the water would dribble down  the
sides of your face. Everything is totally relaxed and efficient.

"As you take a drink of water, so shall you breathe your harmonica" is how  I
introduce it during the first lesson with my students.

As to OB, harmonica position doesn't change - still tipped up approx. 45
degrees. The air flow is focused in a more concentrated sense to achieve OB.
This happens inside the mouth, having nothing to do with what is happening
outside your lips. The air flow is directed towards the roof of the mouth with a
different target spot, which is different than conceiving it as "top or bottom
of the hole".

The Iceman

In a message dated 10/11/2008 10:46:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,