[Harp-L] Basic blues backing tracks -- keyboard

Considering the dearth of backup tracks and lack of ready access to a live
band or keyboard player, it is often use to consider   CD packages not designed
specifically for harp players.

Fast Forward 12-Bar Blues Piano (Wise Publications, London/New York,
1997--$15.95 list) comes with a good collection of basic blues patterns that can be
lifted for use on the harmonica. Styles featured are Basic Blues, Boogie Piano,
Stride Piano, Jazz Piano, Rock Piano. Plenty of walking bass line
blues/boogie. Nice and slow, easy to hear and follow.

For the harp player, just put on the CD and ignore the book. Later, if you
want some theory, look into the book and see what it has to say.

The best part is that it is not only keyboard music on the CD but that stand
up bass plays the same riff.

The CD plays 30-second phrases separately in the left hand and the right hand
and again with a bass and drums of the same riff. Each track is music only;
there is no annoying chatter or even a count off. So you can hit "repeat" or
"loop" and play the same section over and over again.

Since a lot of the blues riffs come from piano, this is a great place to
start.

And if you plan to play harp along with a piano or organ when you get your
chops and riffs down, this can get you used to it. You get 64 tracks at about 30
seconds each and two tunes at about 2:30 each. That's about 30+ minutes of
pure music. Amazon has it in stock new for 10% and used copies -- some without
CDs for about half price, considering its 10 years old.

I found the book in my "archive" while moving stuff around, cleaning up my
home office. And pulled it out and listened to see if it would work with my harp
class.

Phil Lloyd

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.