Re: [Harp-L] piccolo harmonica (was 2nd position only useful in blues?)

On Oct 6, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:

Smo-joe wrote, re Charlie McCoy:
Another thing he does (and I do too) is to use Piccolo harps. There are tunes where you might want to go to a higher octave but RETAIN the bendability and texture of the harps lower octave but you want to
be an octave HIGHER. The piccolo allows that.
As far as I know, I am not aware of anyone else using Piccolo harps. (btw, the vest pocket harp is the same size and tuning as the Piccolo but is in the same octave setup as the standard Richters).

I don't understand that last sentence, re "the same octave setup".

Actually, I may have originally had this backwards. It may be the Piccolo harp that has the same octave set-up as a standard Marine Band. In other words middle C. My memory isn't what it used to be but I think it was the Vest Pocket Harp that started one octave ABOVE middle C.

In other words, you could be playing along using mostly the lower 5-6 holes of a Marine Band and then when you wanted to go up an octave instead of FIGHTING with the 7-10 switch in blow draw pattern OR fight with the inability to bend the notes you wanted, all you had to do was switch to a VP and AUTOMATICALLY you had the SAME set-up as the lower end of a MB ...BUT an octave higher.

This was handy for me, because I wasn't that accomplished at the time....Still am'nt. lol As I recall, the VP was only available in like G, A, and maybe one other...Bb? ( I think I had a G & Bb). . In any case, they were hard to get ahold of and I had to call Hohner when they were out on Long Island N.Y. (before they moved to Va.). Bob Bauer sent them out to me.

I've owned a couple of old Vest Pocket Harps, back when they were made in various keys, whereas, if i remember correctly, nowadays they are only made in a very limited amount of keys. They were diminutive versions of standard richter diatonic harps, but tuned one octave higher.

Yeah, that's them. I think they were once made in like 9 keys and later dropped to 3 or 4? They were 3 1/8" long, and slightly narrower and less thick than a 4" MB.

What is a piccolo harp, the exact same as a Vest Pocket harp, a smaller version of a standard diatonic harp but tuned an octave higher?

Piccolos are same size as a Vest Pocket BUT they are middle C tuned...NOT an octave higher and were made in Bb, B, C, D, E, F, G, A, and Cm, Fm, Gm.

And are they available in all keys?

Vest Pocket was made in (like I said) maybe G, A, Bb, and ARE an octave higher. In conclusion, NOW I would advocate just using regular harps, and doing the work it takes. I used them as a stop-gap measure when I wanted to go higher up the harp and still wanted to use the lower blow/draw pattern(s). In fact, I think I got the G because it was a HIGH G and I didn't want a GM and couldn't get a Spl-20.

Ron

**************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out! (http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000001)