Re: [Harp-L] Re: Creating solid notes through bending techniques

With no standardized ultimate technique being taught in how to bend, what
I've discovered is that players will bundle exactly what needs to be done with a
 lot of extraneous movements. In other words, if one bends successfully and
also  drops their jaw, contracts their throat muscles, wiggles their Adams
Apples,  etc, the result is still a successful bend. I teach my students to
unbundle  their muscles and eliminate what is not necessary to achieve the goal.

The most fun are the beginners that lock up all the muscles in their neck
and shoulders as they attempt to learn the techniques and then wonder why they
are so exhausted after practicing for 10 minutes. I get them to see how much
energy they waste bundling all their head, neck and shoulder muscles into one
big glump. When they relax enough to play the harmonica while freely moving
around their head, neck, shoulders, it is a big revelation and they realize
how  much they were wasting their energy in useless movement and tension. The
same  can be done if you go inside yourself and re-examine your bend technique.
You  may discover that you are adding unnecessary muscle movement.

The Iceman

In a message dated 10/6/2008 2:41:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,