[Harp-L] reed materials and shapes

steve warner writes:

"While you're at it let's think outside the box and see what happens with a
non tranditional rectangular reed shape."

There was a discussion on this a few months back. If you search the archives on "tapered reed" you will find a post I did with a link to several patents (found on Pat Missin's website) for non-rectangular shaped reeds. Tapered reeds are actually quite common already, less in harmonicas than in accordions.

I'd be interested in hearing the differences in very different shapes, but I suspect it would be minimal. As I said then, I think for most of these things we're talking about small variations on a theme, rather than radical alterations.

As for reed material, I really think that a lot could be done with new plastics working out some of the idea Finn Magnus had in the 1940's and 1950's. Considering the improvements and increase in available plastics since then, I think this is an area which is practically begging to be explored. I believe that the biggest reason it hasn't been is the expense of injection molding machines and a reluctance on most harmonica companies to market such a design, which I'm betting places like harp-l would not react favorably to. Plastic=cheap, being the most commonly held view. I doubt these would give any significant tonal changes, but might be worth investigating for longevity and other issues.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'