[Harp-L] reed materials

I don't believe that the best materials for reeds have been exhausted.
If you do a search for "foil laminates"you will find some unbelievable
results. They are now laminating all manner of dissimilar metals.
They even bond tapers. I think this could open the possibilities for
actually controlling very precisely the area at which the reeds vibrate.
The first obvious choice would be beryllium cooper core and brass or stainless steel.
I think they would out last the player. I do know of one builder that made
beryllium reeds over 20 years ago and all of the reeds are still holding
the same gap and pitch today. The biggest hurdle would be the "toxic"
panic everyone would have to be educated on. I cant see any major manufacturers
actually making lifetime reeds for obvious reasons. Longevity would be the
biggest advance in the future of reeds probably.
Randy
http://www.genesisharmonicas.net