Re: [Harp-L] Summertime on A Diatonic

On Oct 1, 2008, at 5:14 PM, George Brooks wrote:

I heard the story told a little differently, although I make no claim that this version is authoritative, or that the exchange even took place. Night after night, Coltrane was playing extended solos, and he knew he was going on way to long to suit his bandleader. So he goes to Miles and asks him, straight up and sincerely, "How do you end a solo?" Miles responds, "You take the damn horn out of your mouth!"

That's the way I heard it. Naturally, when you play a particular instrument, you tend to follow what's happening IN that world. A trumpet player (I was cornet) would have heard it this way. I think this was around the time that Coltrane was doing 'Primitivo'.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I think Summertime lays out best on a diatonic in fourth position ("A on a C harp"). The first three notes are 5 blow, 4 blow, 5 blow (Sum - mer - time).

I wasn't sure what position I was using and that's why I didn't comment on Richards comment on third position. To be perfectly honest, I don't know much about positions. I think I may have used 3rd and maybe some other ones, but I am primarily a cross harper with a smidgen of straight.
It turns out that I am using 4th, (if that's what it is). I like the possibility of doing the background part right after the word 'high' (as in, when the cotton is high). It's a 5 blow into a 5 blow 1/2 step bend DOWN, then 4 draw and 3 draw, the 5 draw into a 5 draw 1/2 step bend DOWN, ending in a 5 blow. It's Da da da da.....Daa da da

You are also able to do the fill in after the word 'cry' (as in, hush little baby, do--on't you cry-y) Da da da da.....Daa da
(btw, I' assuming that everyone can handle the draw bends down in the 2 & 3 holes)

Here's where it gets interesting. THIS is EXACTLY why I have, for many years, used a 5 draw with the pitch raised a 1/2 step AND a windsaver on the 5 draw so that the 5 blow CAN be blow bent DOWN. Otherwise, you would have to be able to blow bend the 5 draw UP and the 5 blow DOWN by means of blow bending. That was curds and whaaaaaaay beyond my capabilities at the time. With my method, I was able to add a plethora of other phrasing into a tune. Especially important when one is a little 'skinny' on back up players. And it opens up a world of pop, doo-wop, and boop boop bip bip.

So, in retrospect, I am probably guilty of playing too many notes (my Don Les influence), so I should maybe heed Miles Davis' sage advice and just pull the Khrome Khlondike away from my lips now and then.

smo-joe (a definite George Brooks fan)

George

Richard Hunter wrote:

I am reminded of a fabled conversation between John Coltrane and Miles Davis
that supposedly took place while Trane was working in Davis's band.

"You're playing too much," Miles said.
"I've got so many ideas. I just don't know how to stop," Trane said.
"Well, why don't you try takin' the f---in' horn out of your mouth?" Miles said.