Re: [Harp-L] Summertime on A Diatonic

Miles... Genius.

I'm no Summertime afficionado, it also seems to lay out nicely in 5th position(?)... starting on the 6 draw.

Jim.
www.mcmule.com

>>> George Brooks <gbrooksvt@xxxxxxxxxxx> 10/1/2008 5:14 PM >>>
I heard the story told a little differently, although I make no claim
that this version is authoritative, or that the exchange even took
place.  Night after night, Coltrane was playing extended solos, and he
knew he was going on way to long to suit his bandleader.  So he goes to
Miles and asks him, straight up and sincerely, "How do you end a solo?"
  Miles responds, "You take the damn horn out of your mouth!"

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.  I think Summertime lays
out best on a diatonic in fourth position ("A on a C harp").  The first
three notes are 5 blow, 4 blow, 5 blow (Sum - mer - time).

George

  Richard Hunter wrote:

I am reminded of a fabled conversation between John Coltrane and Miles
Davis
that supposedly took place while Trane was working in Davis's band.

"You're playing too much," Miles said.
"I've got so many ideas. I just don't know how to stop," Trane said.
"Well, why don't you try takin' the f---in' horn out of your mouth?"
Miles said.