Re: [Harp-L] summertime...a version

Smo-Joe wrote:
<Tunes like Georgia should be done on diatonic
<Tunes like Summertime........................chromo

I dunno. I've heard some pretty hot versions of Summertime on the diatonic.  I usually play this piece in 3rd position on a standard diatonic, sometimes 2nd position on a natural minor.  I had the opportunity to play it solo on the diatonic in 3rd position at Jon Gindick's jam camp in September 2007, where I was one of the coaches, and it seemed to go over pretty well with that audience.

It sounds great on a chromatic too, and as I've said before, if you want to break somebody's heart, just play a ballad on the chromatic--all that sad beauty is just overwhelming.

But what can I say? Sometimes you just feel like throwing down on a blues harp.  Even on Gershwin.

Regards, Richard Hunter