Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Daddy's Gone to Knoxville - For Smojoe and David Payne

On Sep 30, 2008, at 11:21 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hey Smokey, you never confirmed whether or not we'd ever play a real honest to goodness 'duet' together before this.

It's hard to get something organized when you are 1,240+ miles away (2,ooo+ Kilometers for our European shut in friends).

Your backing me at Spah was a different set up altogether, although very much appreciated. Couldn't have done it without you, and I am feeling more confident, thanks to you.

You did 2 good tunes at Denver, none at Milwaukee and 3 at St. Louis. But your repertoire is too vast. What you need to do is pick 6 tunes. 2 you want to nail, 2 to staple, 2 to tack, and maybe 1 standby tune to pin. Let me have the list and I will work out a part, even if I have to write it out (ala Peloquin). lol Keep the list short..(for now)

Are you actually saying you consider me good enough to want to play a real duet with? If so, I'm immensely flattered. I know you have very high standards.

It's not a matter of standards. I rarely play at a festival. The main reason is: (and I don't want to sound arrogant here..but) I can't get the back-up that I need. It's not that I'm any good. It's that I am NOT and therefore need all the help I can get. I have played with Carol Beth several times but the combo is always a pick-up group and they (themselves) have usually never played together. THEN, I have to get up there with NO set-up time and wing it. So, I have to pick easy pieces. Inasmuch as I am at a disadvantage, I feel that I get by.

The possibility of getting back up at a fest is slim because: they are too busy with players that are established. It's like anywhere else. The big dogs get the bones. Sometimes a backup player is SO good that that doesn't work either. Here I am trying to go one way on a tune and that very accomplished player is going another. The ramifications here are that he/she is a schooled musician and has the feeling that I should already KNOW where they are going with the tune.

Well, I'm not that accomplished and I can't have that because these off the wall tangents may be how it's usually done, but I want to do it the way 'I' want to do it. Here in Fl I don't have a problem because even though we may be doing a tune for the first time, we already know what's in each others heads.
.
 ....but:  I'm not sure all of those songs would work.

I was making a funny.

I've heard No. 1 "You May Think" (not sure it's great as a duet). Just tracked down No. 2 and it was actually called "Been Caught Stealing" by Jane's Addiction. Sounded like just a mess of 'noise' to my ears...can't imagine how to get a harmonica solo out of it, much less a duet (unless it's another song?) I somehow suspect you're 'having me on'... ;)

'Caught Stealing' You got the right tune. It's not a good harp tune. 'You Might Think' is Also silly.

Didn't you know that 'Crazy' has long been one of my favourite songs too..I'd easily (and happily) duet on it...or 'triplet' if Christelle could be persuaded...

...hey, now..there's a thought. A new style of harmonica 'trio'? Of course I'd be in way over my head, but the two of you can make me look (and sound) good <G>

Christelle will be too famous by next year. () (praying hands)

Do know No. 3...but it's not one of my favourite Paul Simon tunes, although infinitely preferable than No. 2 above.

Just mentioned for fun. Like Crocodile Rock.

Hadn't heard "Like Young" (No. 4) before...so just found an Ella Fitzgerald version...and yes, most definitely could play that one with a little practice. Great song!

What YOU need is a CD backing. The i-pod was ok but we had to mike it. Then they're hard to shuffle-index. I had thought to get my buddy John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed's great grandson) to make a back-up, but I have been too lazy.

...and as for Paris....you did know Christelle doesn't live near there but in a small town elsewhere in France?

Yeah, I asked once (what she was near) but got no answer. :(

...so you'd still have to be hoofing it to hear her play <G>

I could hide a recorder outside her window and then abscond with the tapes. Then I could play them over and over while lying in my bed at the hospice. I could die peacefully.

smo-joe

Elizabeth