Re: [Harp-L] Reality check?
- To: "Harp L Harp L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Reality check?
- From: "Tom Albanese" <reedwrecker@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:43:44 -0600
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=hu8G6jgJnM+B/hyBeKQStaJKD89dO9v/NN8f1XVpPZs=; b=LlfP3TPfklgoE0hdFcdRG56ARqwf9KwtnIwE6gIdYvkLmtTvpH+GH1p/a6qT3L0SqX imLtZtNdyrVZHttd6K3JuCyUpCyZcD1F2rLiUvEtm1dguWllQMmJCZvmdFGiuCLXtsQW QRKzViui7MGX1Msqyj+ggQ93av5KtF2NfSEqk=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:references; b=Ky5Ub0xOV8y6dGxJ0uDHeXi9lyMtH8wBI90XVthp4WqfdumVxEBs+mD+Ns08o1WPDp XrhT26mVHd9A73hLzl048DRDZF0fHKUXw2snBUzzXRpyZS36DB5P+CqX6ETxQIQ3Rr52 KGp8QAADEkKhV9Btz4MLbEjDA+jEA7AfMY9N8=
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
All true, there's a lot of belt tightening going on, but as far as live
music goes I'm also finding the opposite to be true. During the depression
entertainment was alive and well. What we're living through now may not be a
depression but when times are tough people seek escapism. I'm getting more
phone calls for music projects, more gigs and more playing opportunities
than I have in a long time. Maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe not. Could just
be that Chicago's music scene is more impervious to tough times than in
other cities. Musical entertainment is still alive and well here. I'm
thankful for that.
But it's no way to make a living, that's for sure. Most people I know who
are doing that give music lessons and take every pick-up gig and studio
job they can get whether it pays $50. or $500. No health plan, no retirement
plan, just hand to mouth existence.
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 8:33 AM, <IcemanLE@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> The dominos are falling all around, affecting people's spending habits for
> sure. Food, transportation and shelter are the focus. Entertainment, while
> important, is taking a back seat. Restaurants are closing, bars can't
> live entertainment as drinkers sit at home w/six packs these days. People
> less music in the traditional retail sense as the internet opens up more
> exchange and there is less disposable income to spend.
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and