Subject: [Harp-L] Harp Depot

Clearly you didn't notice the  'products' button at the  bottom of the
page...any page on their site?   A simple click on this  link refutes your entire
post.

_http://www.harpdepot.com/index1.html?ext177.html&1_
(http://www.harpdepot.com/index1.html?ext177.html&1)

Here's their product list updated in August (right before SPAH)...with
plenty of Hohner harmonicas, as well as Suzukis, Herings, Lee Oskars, etc,  etc.
CD's from some of my favourite players who were at SPAH, books,  etc...

I was specifically looking for more of the CX-12's which I wouldn't buy  from
any other source since purchasing three from Richard and Doc at GSHC in
November, 2007.  I was very disappointed about The Garden State Convention  not
having sufficient attendees to make their quota this year because Shelly  Lulov
puts on a helluva convention..but part of my disappointment  was because I'd
been looking forward to purchasing more of my beloved  CX-12's in different
keys from Doc for an early birthday present to myself,  since I can drive to GSHC
and didn't buy them at SPAH because my luggage was  already too heavy.

I've mentioned this before...the Tenor C CX-12 I wished to buy then had a
problem with the 6 draw...even though Richard could find nothing wrong with  it
using the bellows despite it still proving a problem for me. It was most
likely simply gapped wrong at the factory for my playing style...but rather than
automatically dismissing it as 'the player's fault'..he decided to ask Bill
Price (who had a table set up to work on attendees' harmonicas) to check it
over  ..and we both agreed to abide by Bill's take on whether or not the  harp
was 'flawed'. Richard didn't have to do any of this, but spent an  inordinate
amount of time to resolve this issue for me, his  customer.

He then decided to return the chromatic to Hohner and sold  me a different
one instead. Over the past 4 years they've treated me with  nothing but respect
and great service and have given me the best price  possible.  I find both
these men to be  friendly and honourable in  their dealings with customers, since
I've been present when many other people  including friends of mine bought
harmonicas over the last few years as  well.

 I did not get service like this from a major musician's online  source. The
harps I bought from them (3 at once) came in damaged because someone  'forgot'
to include packing materials, so the harps (one of them a Super 64)  bounced
off each other in their far too big box in transit, completely  crushing a
tremolo box, took chips out of the comb of the  tremolo, broke the hinges on two
chromatic cases (so the harps fell  out)...bending the slide on the smallest
chromatic. Luckily the most  important (and expensive) instrument, the Super 64
was still intact and played  fine when it arrived as I needed it for my very
first Buckeye Convention the  following week.

 When I called the company immediately upon receipt of the box they  told me
it was impossible that they'd forgotten to include packing materials  because
their system simply doesn't allow it...they have scanning machines to  check
the boxes for number of items included (guess someone was too busy  counting
items to bother looking to see if bubble wrap was in there as  well?)... ergo I
must be ...lying?  They had no solution to my  dilemma. I had no recourse. It
was a case of he said/she said.  And  harmonicas cannot be returned...so to
their minds I'd just come up with a not  very creative way to return unwanted
harmonicas.

I will never purchase anything from that musician's online source  again,
but..I'm also not about to trash them online...call their business  practices
'deceptive' or accuse them of being 'crooks', as people seem  to feel so free to
do here to Harp Depot.  Someone in the mail  room of the company I dealt with
made a mistake. I can't prove my side of it,  and I'm stuck. Stuff happens.
That's the way the world works. Not everything  always works out perfectly in
life. I haven't yet ever met a perfect  person...nor do I expect to, since I
think they'd be the most boring individual.

I simply will never buy from them..and told them exactly why.  From  now on,
I prefer to see the instrument I'm buying in person anyway (so  to speak).  So
Harp Depot works for me..and for the thousands of attendees  at the various
conventions who also purchase their instruments/books/CD's etc.  when they go
to the shows.

Because of the last round of Harp Depot trashing (and if I recall  correctly,
one person who had gone on a bit of a rant later retracted his  comments
after realizing he had indeed Not pre-paid for something he hadn't  yet gotten
from them after consistently making that claim here).... I did a  bit of an
informal 'survey' at last Buckeye, and this last Spah. Asked people I  ran into and
didn't already know very well, if they knew about Harp-l and  if comments
here affected their buying practices and opinions.

The great majority of people I spoke with had no idea that the  list even
existed... looked at me a little 'funny'...as if maybe I was making it  up that
there was such a thing as a harmonica 'list'.  Most didn't want to  know about
it, didn't want to talk about anything that cut into their enjoyment  of the
convention... many of them don't own a computer, let alone want to know  about
'wasting my time writing on the computer when I can be  playing' was the
oft-expressed opinion.  They'd rather be playing  their harmonicas,indulging in
their other hobbies and living their lives.  Their harmonica lives revolve around
harmonica clubs in their towns.  This  is how they learn about SPAH and
Buckeye and the other conventions.  Their  friends attend and they sometimes save
up en masse to go to a convention. They  don't get involved in the 'other'
aspects of on-line harmonica 'stuff' (I was  told this several times).

They're not all 'small-town' people either, as one might think.....quite  a
few of those I spoke with  were long-time famous  name players who'd been
around for many years but couldn't imagine getting  involved in 'something like
that'....shaking their head in bemusement at the  very idea.

Check out YouTube videos of Harmonica playing. Mention Harp-L to them in  the
comments as I do  - to suggest they join up, or join SPAH...and they've
almost uniformly no idea what either is, and usually don't care.   I had hopes
that the Pocket Full of Soul Documentary might bring more harmonica  players to
SPAH...perhaps it will...but haven't heard much lately about  distribution of
the film.

Harp Depot is by far the most straight-forward store I've  ever dealt
with...probably why they continue to be the vendor of choice at SPAH,  Buckeye, GSHC,
and other harmonica conventions.

I refuse to allow someone like you to dissuade me from buying from people
who have always treated me well.  I've also bought a Seydel chromatic from
Rupert Oysler in person at a convention and been treated equally wonderfully by
him as well, and have to give props to Oz Leguizamo...who runs the Suzuki
store, although I haven't yet bought anything Suzuki, they are invariably
friendly and very helpful to any customers perusing Suzuki's wares at the
conventions.

I've read recently about there being somewhere around 10 million harmonica
players in the U.S.?  If so, this list is then only a very faint (and  small)
voice among all those people. European players  - a lot of them  French and
brilliant - (I can name 10 or so right off the bat) ...South American  players
are young, hip and play Brazilian jazz better at a younger age than  anyone has
a right to....Asian players also outnumber us thousands to one. Ask  the
people who just came back from the PanAsian conference.  "We" are a  mere drop in
the bucket of the harmonica world, and need to get the collective  egos in
check.  Nobody gives a rat's butt outside this very limited world  about the
opinions expressed here, other than the core group..the immediate  reader....  So
get over yourself...as well as this idea that America is the  center of the
Harmonica playing Universe and nobody else should dare  express their opinions to
and about us.

Elizabeth

*******

"Message: 12