Re: [Harp-L] PT Gazell is the man

Hey David,
Since you build harps I've got an octave Q for you.

I just love the 3 hole tongue block draw octaves, but to my ears it seems
those who I know for a fact that use the 1896 Marine Band, they just seem to
get a better sounding octave that's fuller and fatter in that register.
What I'm talking about has nothing to do with the player because I hear
virtuoso players who don't use the 1896 and they just don't seem to have
that fat sounding octave.  Musslewhite is one grand master who doesn't get
that fat octave like I'm talking about.   You understand what Im saying,
right?

The Lee Oskars have thin sounding octaves, the Hering 1923's are fairly
thin, the Special 20's which I use have thicker octaves but not like the
wood bodies.   I haven't ordered any replacement MS reeds in years, so I
don't know if they sound like the 1896's do.
There's also a nice distinct reed flutter when it's hit just right that I
don't hear on nearly all other harps.  You hear it in William Clarke,
Piazza, Johnny Rover, Harman, San Pedro Slim, Gruenling, and of course the
octave guru George Smith as well as many others.  With many harps the reeds
just seem to blend together without the ''separate'' tonal character that
each reed presents.
I know the Hering 1923's have slightly thicker reeds than the 1896's do, so
I'm not sure if the reed thickness is what determines what I'm referring to
but rather the way the reed is made....stiffness, alloys added......?

Your opinions because I may switch to woods, which I'm not too fond off for
my playing style.
thank you