[Harp-L] My First Jazz Jam[a little long]

I've been working hard, trying to learn to play jazz the last three years...mostly on chromatic, but some diatonic, too. [I've been playing blues and rock music on diatonic for many years] Been using the Jamey Aebersold play-alongs and materials, working on learning chords/arpeggios, scales, tunes; you know, the usual stuff.

Anyway, I live in a fairly rural area...not many jazz musicians...but recently, eureka! I met this local jazz pianist, very nice guy who has been letting me come over and play some, just the two of us. That's been great cause he's very patient and encouraging.

Well, last night I got to come to a  jam session at his house. Drums, bass, piano, trumpet, sax...and me on chromatic and diatonic harmonicas. It really felt great to be there, actually playing jazz, though in  my case not very well :-)

I've got so far to go, so much to learn...the two  horn players are quite good; the trumpet player has a degree in jazz studies and both players have extensive experiance playing in both big bands and small group situations. Of course by their standards I have nothing much to say yet with my "horn," and I know and accept that. They were friendly enough, maybe a bit condescending, but the trumpet player showed me a cool ii/V lick and the point is I got to play! And I'm gonna get to come back and be a regular part of this jam. So this was a very important night for me, for my musical journey, and I'm real happy about it.

One point I'd like to make is that the whatever condescention that was there was not, I don't think, because I'm a harmonica player; rather, it was due to the fact that I'm not a very good jazz player-- All the guys seemed quite open to hearing the harmonica as a jazz instrument. So anyway, I just thought I'd post this...I'm slowly improving, slowly learning, steadily working on the music, and having a great time doing it. I'm 53 now...by the time I'm 60 I hope to be a decent jazz musician, and that'll give me many years of playing left. Never too late!!!
WVa Bob
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?souce=EML_WL_ GoodCause