[Harp-L] Harpgear HG50 review

What can I say? Brian Purdy is one heck of an innovative amp
designer/builder & and a nice guy to do business with. The newest addition  to the Harpgear
family is the HG50, a 4x10, 50w tweed amp. As most harp players  go through in
their quest for the perfect amp, I have played through many  "boutique" models
made specifically for harmonicas & vintage amps that are  known to be prime
for the tone we all want. Honestly, even though there are  other decent amps
out there, nothing holds a candle to the HG50. It's definitely  not a one trick
pony. Brian did his homework on how to design an amp with almost  no feedback
issues and an array of tone you can dial in to suit your taste.  I am ecstatic
to own this amp.

I have played in some medium size to large rooms recently, and the HG50 did
not need to be miced through the sound system. This is one loud amp  whenever
you want it to be, and it has a full range of tone! I was amazed at the  deep
low-end & how well the highs & mids fit perfectly. When I play out  at volume
between 5-7, or am practicing at home between 1-2, the HG50 breaks up  where I
want it to. If you find yourself near any of the harp players who  use the
HG50 (Brian Purdy, himself or Jason Ricci, etc.) who are scheduled for a  gig,
please GO SEE THEM & hear the HG50 for yourself.

Last, but not least, I've had the honor of owning & playing  through every
model of the Harpgear amps. Brian does exquisite work on  every amp he has
designed! They all sound great & I highly recommend  them all.

- Scott Nickerson

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.