RE: [Harp-L] Guy Forsyth (a bit long and . . .

I really liked the performance from Guy Forsyth, in fact never heard of
him before this and now I'm now a fan - I watched a lot of his youtubes
while I was at it checking out this link. Great singer, harp player,
guitar, showman.

The music is number one, but after that there's nothing more boring to
*me* than a band with a bunch of musicians up there in random t-shirts,
camoflage shorts, ball caps (except when it's at our jam, haha) and
especially if they're standing like statues. But that's just *me*. Then
again, I was kind of hating on Derek Trucks when the Bros kicked Dickey
Betts out but after catching him one show, that dude can stand there all
day like a statue if he's playing like that. But I'd still rather see a
show with Dickey in it!

I prefer some sort of visual presentation to go along with the music.
Maybe due to my early influences of Yes, Pink Floyd, etc. I remember
being blown away by a John Campbell show (before he passed) at a
festival where he was in the Howlin' Mercy era and playing all that
dark, hoodoo voodoo unbelievable slide swampy blues music, the stage set
up with corresponding artifacts, the band looking dark and menacing and
cranking out that ripping scary music. It was a total experience,
mesmerizing. The audience went wild. They always do, even the haters
among us for 'theatrics' can't deny that! And in the end, folks are on
stage to please the audience, not other musicians :^)

Remember fred yonnet's "little wing" from dave chappelle show? We talked
about all this back then. It's just different folks tastes and nobody's
wrong. Some like the understated, others walk on the wild side.

Now there are some who take it too far, belly shaking like a bowl of
jelly and just clownish.

Funny nobody (dudes at least) busts on Shakira. I could watch that girl
perform all night long. With the sound off ;^)  Tina Turner (sound on).

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA