Re: [Harp-L] Best Zoom H2 settings with loud music please?

James Sterett <jsterett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'll have to look into it a little more, but I don't believe the Zoom's auto gain adjusts during recording, it just sets the initial levels. I get a level with auto gain by having the band play a little before I put the Zoom in record mode. Then, I start to record and let it roll for the whole set.

if it really works that way, that'd be a very nice way to set levels. maybe i misunderstood. usually AGC refers to a continuous realtime adjustment of levels, which you don't want for this application (it's useful for things like recording meetings, or speeches when the speaker is quiet and applause loud, etc). you might want to check with zoom's tech support, just to make sure.

The last thing I want to do is mess with anything or pay attention to anything but the music while we're playing.

agreed. or even when you're just attending someone else's show. i have a friend who's a hard core taper. the rig he brings to shows is worth thousands of dollars, and he spends the entire show fussing with it, missing the whole show. no thanks. i just want to hit "start" before the band starts, and "stop" when it's over, and pay no attention in between.

-- Optimism and pessimism don't exist for me. I'm a blues man. I am a prisoner of hope. I'm going to die full of hope. - Cornel West