Re: [Harp-L] Best Zoom H2 settings with loud music please?

I believe I've posted this inquiry before and know I should do my own manual study

Hopefully you'll get some good specific settings from Harp-l responses. What I have to say may be of little use tonight, but is intended to add to the general discussion.

In the end it's going to be just as much about the placement of the H2 as it is about settings, perhaps moreso. Since you won't have much time to a/b various placements tonight, make sure that both mic pairs are on, because at least then you'll have two stereo files you can experiment with later one.

But if you have time to a/b placements during the sound check, it's almost certain that one of the placements will sound better than the others. Therefore, when one plops the H2 down in the first obvious place there is very little liklihood that you have chosen the optimal placement.

Of little relevance to your original question:

I have recorded some demos with the H2 in my house in the following way: I took the H2 and my guitar around the house and tested recording in 10 differrent spots. When I auditioned them together it took a bit of an elimination process, but in the end I found that some placements really didn't give very good sound, some did well, and there was a clear winner. Now I knew where to place the guitar to cut that track.

I then did the same thing with the harp, and again there was a best location, a very different one from the optimal guitar place. Only this time I auditioned the harp sounds against the recorded guitar sound. Did the same with vocal.

The result sounds neat when mixed together. Recalling that I have two stereo files for each track (front and back mics) trying various mixes of the pairs for each track improved my results.

Now, I synched it up in the following way: I placed several sharp percussive hits at the top of the guitar track, before the guitar starts. This is often called a "two-pop" in recording. I recorded my guitar track, edited it, and laid an mp3 of it on my iPod.

At each testing placement I held the earphones up to the H2 and recorded the two-pop. Now anything I played would be in synch with the guitar track when I laid it into my multitracker, as I could eyeball the two-pop on both sets of tracks, and line 'em up. I put the earphones back on my lovely head, whipped out the harp and did my thing. Same with the vocal later on.

Something that MIGHT - might - improve the final effect would be to play the mixdown through my monitor (a fancy word for my living room stereo) and try different placements of the H2 just recording room sound. This would be a sort of Flintstone variation on the send/return technique where you combine and send a selection of tracks through a reverb plate (or other modification device) and use the returned, or processed signal to give the feeling (when cleverly added into the mix) that the two tracks were recorded together in a very live room instead of in a studio. Or at least to reduce the feeling that they weren't.

The professional version of this technique, by the way, one of the most standard techniques of the modern studio, was invented by Bill Putnam, who engineered both Peg Of My Heart by the Harmonicats AND Juke by Little Walter.