Re: [Harp-L] My grandpa, the prewar Blues harp player

I recall Michael Rubin of Nashville relating an experience at a campsite jam at a bluegrass fest in the 70's.. As I recall the story, he was blowing away pretty good on some bluegrass standard (I forget exactly which one). When the song was over Bill Monroe came over to him and said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Mighty fine pickin' son...but it's not bluegrass." Who would be more an authority on what is and isn't bluegrass then Ol' Bill himself?

If bluegrass can be defined as mountain music played  on bluegrass instruments [those instruments that were used by The Bluegrass Boys (mandolin, guitar, banjo, fiddle, and string bass] then by definition, anything played on non-bluegrass instruments isn't bluegrass. Why does it have to be called bluegrass anyway? Flatt & Scruggs, long considered innovators in bluegrass music (they, among other things, added the dobro to the list of acceptable bluegrass instruments) made it a point to not call their music "bluegrass" but rather "old time mountain music."

Let the bluegrass purists take their ball and go home.

The harmonica has been a part of mountain music since early on (i.e. pre-"bluegrass") whatever you call it.

Doc Watson plays a mean harmonica and he was certainly instrumental (no pun intended) in popularizing "bluegrass" in the 70' & 80's but he's not "bluegrass" per ce, IMHO.

Bill Monroe recorded, at one point, with both piano and drums.

Elvis' first hit record was Bill Monroe's "Blue Moon of Kentucky."  Rockabilly, not bluegrass....

Is bluegrass music played on non-bluegrass instruments still bluegrass?

Who cares?