[Harp-L] Stevie's harmonicas

I was very close to Cham-ber and Frank Huang when Cham-ber mad the CBH 2016. Frank designed a similar chromatic that had channels but used a cut in on the covers to keep the air from being cut off. I played the proto type; made of brass it was heavy as hell. He used pre war 280 plates from harmonicas that were sent back for repair. They were all in the key of C. This was Stevie's harmonica at least in about 1975 or so because I played it once at Hohner. I do not recall Frank tuning a set 280 plates to B.

When I was a soloist on the song writer's hall of fame I got to talk with Stevie about a half an hour back stage about harmonicas. He was playing Frank's harmonica there and we talked about harmonicas and the micropore valves I was using.

By this time in the studio, varispeed recorders were all over the place. I used them all the time to change keys of some commercial or movie them to get it into a flat key. I would then transpose at sight. They would change the pitch back which would make the harmonica sound a bit tinny and the vibrato faster. Varispeed recorders also accounted for the recordings coming out in the cracks between keys if people weren't careful in calibration.

When DAT's came out, this pitch difference was eliminated, but while playing "Through the Raindrops" to tracks on Canada AM live, I had a horrible experience. I had tuned my harmonica exactly to the DAT. We had 60 seconds during the commercial for me to come out, listen to the level of the tracks on the monitors and get me level. The monitors played the tracks and they were a quarter tone flat. The engineer had transferred my DAT to a varispeed recorder. I immediately asked him if he had used a varispeed recorder and he said yes. He thought I could just tune to the tracks like a violin.

I told him to speed it up a little in the last 15 seconds, but ended up having to play to tracks way out of tune. Fingernails on a blackboard!! I was ready to kill the guy when a lady came to me and said that was so beautiful. I just said "next" and moved on.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com