Re: [Harp-L] Winslow Yerza

steve miner wrote:
I think the switching to harmonica for the part was simply a hook to get it on the radio at the time. I also felt that he was making a musical statement that diatonic harp was cheap, and not a real form, In other words his royal interpretation was done on chromatic because it cost more to buy the instrument.
I remember Little Stevie Wonder, 5 years old, playing the chromatic. He has always played the chromatic. It was his first instrument, even preceding the drums. It is natural that he would put a harmonica part in his music.

I respect Mr. Wonder because he is an excellent musician. I also happen to like a lot of his work. I heard him on a recent Tony Bennett album. Both singing and playing, he really nailed it. While I do not spend a lot of time listening to Tony Bennett, I respect good musicians whatever they choose to play.

Personally, I prefer the diatonic-as-chromatic. I play a lot of jazz with it. I just love the sound of a diatonic. Although I learned to play one, I think of the chromatic as an entirely different instrument - as different as a trombone.

-LM