Re: [Harp-L] Winslow Yerza

Steve,
I'm sure you've been in a situation where a person blurts out an ugly unedited comment that goes over like a lead balloon - and tries to recover by saying "Come on guys, I was just joking." When nobody buys it, the speaker just makes it worse with further comments.

Over ten years ago, on the day I happened on Harp-l and subscribed, someone posted an "I'm a newbie, want to learn blues harp, got any tips?" question. My very first post on Harp-l contained the following response to that post: "Do not bother with tongue blocking."

I absolutely swear that was part of my first post.

A dozen or so harp players responded. Most of the responses were exceptionally civil. I'd playing 31 years, and I got a schooling. I wrote a sincere apology and made a bunch of friends I still have, along with a bunch of new ones. I wasn't joking, as you were, but I posted some lousy advice, which is on par with a joke that didn't go over.

I'll take you at your word, you were kidding with that very un-harp-l like post. The guaranteed wrong tack is to now say "Boy I sure pressed a button in Winslow." I don't have any more right than anyone else to ask you this, but it sure would be a community-minded thing if you just apologized for making a post that wasn't as well stated as you naturally would have hoped, and allowed us to move on. If you don't feel an apology is due, just let it go and this'll all be forgotten in a week -- unless it gets dragged out, and I doubt anyone else wants to drag it out.

Best,
Ken