Re: [Harp-L] Chaka Khan I Feel for You

Fats Domino's hit records were speeded up slightly, reportedly to raise his
voice to make him sound younger. Some people thought piano players were going
out of their minds trying to match the raised pitch (between the piano keys)
but many phonographs have had a variable speed option to "correct" for many
years.

(HOW MANY people played an LP [33-1/3 rpm] at 16 rpm [used for talking book
records] to learn a tune?)

My 4-speed changer from the 1960s has a strobe that you could set the
turntable speed by pressing a button to light it up and turn so the pattern stayed
"steady." If the record still didn't sound "right" the sound could be adjusted
the dial by ear.

I think the windup mechanical 78 rpm phonographs (Gramophone?) also had this
feature.

Many home reel-to-reel tape recorders came in two speeds; some had 3 speeds.
But most of the home market did not have variable speed; only the pricier
models that cost several hundred dollars did.

Today, there are several excellent CD programs that work on the computer to
adjust the speed. You can slow down a Little Walter CD to creeping speed
without changing the pitch. Or you can change the pitch slightly or even the key in
play back. There are several freestanding CD players that slow or increase the
speed starting at about $100 going up to $300 or so.

Stevie is a great gadget guy; he had one of the first machines that looked
like the standard office Xerox copier that would copy printer matter (book,
magazine) and "read" it back out loud.

And Stevie made several (all?) albums by using overdubs on a xx-track
recording machine and playing ALL the instruments.

Stevie could play anything he wanted in any key on any key harmonica (unlike
us mortals) and tweak it a few dozen ways electronically with one of his
gadgets.

So the who issue comes down to two questions: !. Do you really care what
Stevie did on the recording? (academic question) Or 2. Do you want to know how YOU
can play it?

This then prompt two other questions: 3. Is it possible for a mortal
harmonica player to execute this? And 4. Is it worth the trouble?

Because if it turns out (we may NEVER know) that Stevie played a special
tuned chromatic (Ab, Eb) AND speeded it up on the recording nobody will ever
duplicate this live without the special tuned chromes and/or some pitch shifting
equipment.

I certainly hope we get this resolved.

Phil Lloyd